Monday, February 13, 2012

STAR WARS. PERIOD.



As I'm sure you have read from my fellow-bloggers, my husband and I left work Thursday and drove-dogs and all!-to Kansas City to see Episode I in 3D at midnight. For those non-dorks, Episode I is NOT the one with Princess Leia. Chewbacca, Han, Luke, Darth Vader--none are in this movie. I'm not quite sure WHY Mr. Lucas opted for THIS movie to introduce 3D to the force, but I'm sure he has a plan. The man always has a plan.
For fellow Wichitans, I will explain that my husband and I have been stalking the Warren theater for several weeks now, trying to buy our midnight tickets. I personally stopped at least twice at the theater to try and purchase tickets, or coerce the high school student behind the desk into letting me know when they would be on sale. To our utter surprise and disappointment, as of the day before the midnight showing, no theaters in town were showing the movie at midnight. Therefore, as true followers, who obviously need a bit of ridiculousness in their lives, we traveled 3 hours to Kansas City to see the movie. I'll spare you my husband's mild explosion over the theater not giving out the Darth Maul 3D glasses at the midnight showing, since I'm sure that matter has been covered in countless OTHER blogs. Needless to say, we only had to stop the car once because of the meltdown.

I will confess, that before meeting my husband, and even a year into our relationship, I'm not quite sure I fully understood his love of Star Wars. I had seen star wars when it returned to theaters in high school. My husband informed me this weekend that he had been loving Star Wars longer than I have been alive. As we're currently in the middle of a "How I Met Your Mother" marathon, I don't think you can fully understand how important Star Wars is to some of these people until you attend a Star Wars convention--to my friends, known as one part of dork fest (Harry Potter World completes the festival), or until you watch the movie when you're at home sick. I confess that I have attended such a convention. If funds allow, I totally intend on returning in costume. I also confess that this week, while at home with an awful ear infection, I did in fact watch the original trilogy. And driving all the way to KC for the re-release of a movie in 3D was totally worth the sleep deprivation that I exhibited the next day at court.
I could spend an hour dissecting why the original trilogy is better than the prequels, or why Luke and Leia are not incestuous, or how it is that I have a three-panel painting in my living room depicting wookies in trees on their home planet of Kashyyk, but you'll never understand. And I think I'm alright with that.







My husband is right--every once in a while, you need a bit of ridiculousness. I wouldn't have it any other way. Don't tell him, but I think I'm starting to enjoy this stuff :]

Exit, pursued by a bear, Christy


1 comment:

  1. Luke and Leia are incentuous. Please read the steller prior blog posting by the incomparable Jennifer...

    ReplyDelete