Friday, February 17, 2012

Magical Meatballs

I have been known by many in my life as a great baker.  I'm good at cakes, sweet breads, cookies, some pies, casseroles - you get my drift.  It has recently been pointed out to me that while I am a good baker...I'm not a very good cook.  So I have started a personal mission to claim my kitchen much like Columbus claimed the new world in the name of Spain! Of course hoping no one dies in the process. ;-)
 I decided that logically I should start with "easy" recipes.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that there are several cooking websites that will rank the recipes and let you pick from the appropriate level.
Of course if you know me at all you know I can never be TOO logical so of course I had to MacGyver my own first recipe.  Well, I actually took one of the recipes I thought was good and make it better!
 
I have been making meatballs and pasta for a long time.  I recently had them as an appetizer at a restaurant close to home and confirmed THAT is what they should actually taste like.  So...my journey began.  I could easily share with you all the "failed" attempts, but who really wants to re-live a failure?  Instead here is my Magical Meatball recipe.  Enjoy!!


Magic  Meatballs:


Ingredients
2lbs lean ground beef
1lb Italian sausage
1 cup crumbled cracker crumbs  (buttery crackers are best!)
2 large eggs
3 table spoons of Italian pasta sauce  (I like the thick part at the top of the jar when you first open it)
1 tabl minced onions
1 tabl Italian seasoning  (in all honesty I just put in several shakes of basil and oregano if I dont have Italian seasoning)
1/2 teas pepper
1/2 teas salt



Instructions:
  1. Put it all in a bowl and mix the heck out of it!  Seriously I mix for a full1-2 min (which is a long time if actually counting)
  2. Roll into balls.  I usually make mine between the size of a golf ball and a gumball.  Put them in a greased pan (class or metal) to bake.  They can be close enough to touch but not squished together.
  3. Bake at 400-425 for approximately 8 mins.  Once they start to firm up, roll them over for even cooking and bake for another approx 8 mins.
  4. You want them cooked through before putting them in the sauce - at least I do because by that time I'm starving and ready to eat!
  5. Once cooked add to your sauce and have a magical moment!



I like to only put half of the balls in my sauce and then freeze the rest.  They are so quick and easy to get out for a quick snack OR a tasty meatball sub!

go dtí go gcasfar le chéile sinn arís
Elaine

1 comment:

  1. I will becoming to visit and have you cook for me as soon as my company leaves. lol

    ReplyDelete