Monday, February 27, 2012

it's not easy being green

In an effort be more environmentally friendly, I began to take stock of my life to see how I can take better care of our planet.  Recycling:  check!  Carpooling: check! (I make Jennifer drive me around as much as possible)  Reducing Water Consumption: check! (no sprinkler system for my grass, I only use the water God decides to give me).

So, I generally think of myself as pretty environmentally friendly. I donate used clothes to charity, I recycle pop cans, and I dispose of chemicals the right way.  But, as I was watching television one night with my crochet hooks and yarn close by, I had an epiphany-- reusable cotton balls!  I use the cotton pad variety to take off make-up, put on toner, and take the nail polish off my nails.  So, I took some white yarn that I had lying around and tried a few different patterns.  Here is what I came up with: [for those of you dear readers who don't know how to crochet or don't want to, we will soon have them available at our Etsy Shop]

Reusable Cotton Face Pads



Materials:
100% Cotton Worsted Weight Yarn (I used Lily's Sugar and Cream in White)
Size J Hook


Abbreviations
Ch: Chain
DC:  Double Crochet
St:  Stitch
Sl st: Slip Stitch


Instructions:
Row 1:  Ch 4, join with sl st to form ring.
Row 2:  Ch 3, 11 dc in circle, join with sl st  to top of ch 3.  12 dc.
Row 3:  Ch 3, 2 dc in next st and each st around, dc in joining st, join with sl st to top of ch 3.  24 dc.


Weave in ends.


I use these for all my make-up needs.  After I am done, I can throw them in the washing machine with some bleach and they are good as new.  The only task I don't use them for is taking off nail polish.  If you would like to use them for nail polish removal, I would suggest using a very dark color yarn when you make them. 


Cheers!  Jaime

1 comment: