Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I double dog dare ya!

In the old west [and especially on the playground] these were fightin' words.....crafters also have fighting words.  They usually come in the form of "Too bad you don't know how to make_______"  Or  "I wish you could make ________"

As you may remember from my prior post my sewing machine gave me a HUGE feeling of a major power trip.  I was Wonder Woman and MacGyver all in one (throw in my iPhone and I could dang near rule the world!) - I was basically just waiting to be dared to make something!

And of course it happened......"Too bad you can't make Christmas Stockings...."   :-O  Excuse me?!?  OF COURSE I can make a silly little Christmas stocking!!!  Geesh!  I thought you were going to ask me to make something hard!  In fact I'm going to the craft store right now for supplies!
So this started my Christmas Stocking adventure....  I literally went to the craft store the same day....bought material, went home and washed it, ironed it (of course my favorite part!) and then stood looking at it...for a long time.....Just how the heck does one MAKE a Christmas Stocking?????

So back to the craft store I went.  I purchased a cheap stocking, brought home, and ripped out every seam to use as a guide (or what actual "sewers" would call a "pattern"!)

Then I went to work!  Even with a "pattern" it took SEVERAL times to get the shape enlarged correctly...but thankfully I live close to the craft store so if I had to go buy more material so be it!  I was dared after all remember?!!?!?!

The first one was for the dog (please do not let this make you think I don't love and care for the dogs in my life!  Because I DO!)....it wasn't bad....but I knew it could be better!  So I did what every knotty krafter would do....I'm tweaked it and improved it!!!!  By the time I had the 3rd one done I would have been willing to let anyone watch my happy dance!  I HAD DONE IT!!!!!  You can take that dare and drown it in a cocktail!  I RULE!

And then I remembered I needed to put a cuff and a loop to hang it by on...... BUT I put on my big girl pants and my pearls and went back to the craft store!  I got some $.99 white fat quarters and came back home and went to work!

All in all they turned out GREAT - especially for my first time!  I might even get brave enough to make a new batch next year.... ;-D




Materials
Christmas Fabric 
Coordinating Fat Quarter for the Cuff (I used white so you could see the names)
Pattern (There is a great one here from Prudent Baby-- we LOVE Prudent Baby)
Pins
Thread
Sewing Machine
Red (or coordinating color) Glitter Paint
Sequence in the same color as your paint 

Instructions


1. Wash and Iron material

2. Lay the "pattern" piece on the backside of the material and use a nifty frixion** pen to draw the outline one the material approx. 2 inches bigger than the pattern (because I just got a small cheap sock to tear apart LOL!)

3.  then I cut it out and flipped it over to the other side of the material and traced it and cut that out

4.  Pin both pieces together inside out and sew 1/4 in seams along the bottom and both sides leaving the top open

5.  For the cuff,  cut the fat quarter into pieces long enough to go around the top of the sock and then wide enough to be doubled

6.  Put the cuff inside the sock pinned it to sew 1/4 in seam and then roll the cuff out.

7.  Take red glitter paint and write the first letter big and outlined with large red sequins (using the paint like glue) and then finish the names with smaller letters.

8. Viola!  Your stocking is complete!



**Frixion Pens by Pilot are the BEST new invention for quilters and crafters.  They completely erase with heat.  There is an eraser on the end of the pen which causes friction and erases the mark.  You can also use an iron to erase the markings from your fabric, as I learned the hard way!  I buy mine at Target, but you can also get them here.

1 comment: