Wednesday, February 1, 2012

the Good, the Bad, and the Scrubbie

When I moved to Wichita 3 years ago, Elaine's mom, Georgia, sent me the BEST HOUSEWARMING GIFT EVER!!!!!  Dear readers, I would like to introduce you to The Scrubbie.

The Scrubbie
What is this Scrubbie I speak of?  It is a little piece of crocheted nylon delight that you can use to clean most things in your house.  They are especially helpful for cleaning non-stick cookware without scratching the surface.  I am not exactly known for my cleaning prowess (come on people, you have seen my car).  My Scrubbie lets me get to tough cleaning jobs when I want to, but isn't as abrasive as an SOS or similar pad.  Best part about it is that I can put it in the dishwasher and it will clean and sterilize my Scrubbie when I am done.

Georgia 


So, after using the Scrubbies that Georgia gave me (Thanks, Georgia!) for 2 years, I finally decided that I needed to make some myself!  So, I asked Georgia very nicely to share her pattern with me.  Not only did she share it with me, but she also taught me to crochet!


Georgia's Scrubbies

Materials:
Nylon Netting-- I bought this at the fabric store by the yard.  For my first project I bought 3 yards, which should net 10 (ish) Scrubbies.  
Crochet Hook Size J

Abbreviations
Ch: Chain
DC:  Double Crochet
HDC:  Half Double Crochet
St:  Stitch
Sl st: Slip Stitch


Instructions:
Before you begin to crochet, cut your netting into strips that are at least 1.5 inches wide.  I folded my netting like very long accordion and then cut my strips width wise at the top.  Use these strips of netting as the yarn in the following pattern:







Row 1:  Ch 5, join with sl st to form ring.
Row 2:  Ch 2, 9 hdc in circle, join with sl st  to top of ch 2.  10 hdc
Row 3:  Ch 3, 2 dc in next st and each st around, dc in joinging st, join with sl st to top of ch 3.  20 dc.
Row 4:  Ch 3, 2 dc in next st and each st around, dc in joinging st, join with sl st to top of ch 3.  40 dc.  Fasten Off.


So, thank you Georgia for all of your advice and teaching me the secrets of The Scrubbie!  My family thanks you, too (as they all received them as Christmas presents this year).

Cheers, Jaime

No comments:

Post a Comment